A Tour of Browsholme Hall
Browsholme was ‘H’ shaped, having a central hall with the parlour wing to the west and kitchens to the east; by 1591, when an inventory was taken, twenty-four rooms were listed including the ‘Schole Chamber’, ‘Paynted Chamber’ and ‘Maydens Chamber’.
After 1603 the front was refaced in rusticated pink sandstone and the central portico added displaying the orders of architecture, Doric, Ionic and Corinthian. A hundred years later the small Queen Anne wing was added to the east, providing a second staircase, a new kitchen below and a bedroom and closet above.
The final transformation was in the early nineteenth century when Thomas Lister Parker pulled down the front of the west wing and rebuilt on the same ground plan and then erected the adjacent new dining room.